Switching user

Vincent Untz vincent at vuntz.net
Sat Sep 17 11:58:38 CDT 2005

Hi,

Le samedi 17 septembre 2005 à 17:40 +0100, Tristan Wibberley a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> What is the package to report bugs on for user switching (multiple
> simultaneous logins)?

This is most probably a question for ubuntu-users. It's also not
possible to answer your question since multiple packages allows user
switching (gdm, fast-user-switch-applet, gnome-screensaver and the
ubuntu-patched xscreensaver).

> Is there also a wiki page for improvement to this feature, since the
> user interface and the way components interact seems to be very flaky,
> especially compared to WinXP. If not, I'd like to request a project for
> Breezy+1 to improve this feature, as it is important especially for new
> computer users that this be simple and well-integrated, or they find it
> very difficult to use Ubuntu, getting "stuck" all the time. My parents
> hard disk just died so I've put them on a latest-breezy machine for now,
> and the user switching upon lock-screen is problematic. Requiring them
> to log out whenever they leave the computer is not practical as they are
> old and keep forgetting, and don't always mean to leave it for more than
> a couple of minutes - but then get called away.

There's definitely some work being currently done about integration
between gdm, fast-user-switch-applet and gnome-screensaver. Many people
also want to make it better for GNOME 2.14. So dapper will have better
user switching :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.