Application Suggestion.Possible Breezy Intergration?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 16 08:23:19 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 06:30:15AM -0400, Havoc wrote:
>Yes, I've used both checkinstall and paco (And over that, I've tried
>keeping just the makefiles which is equally crude), and I have to say,
>checkinstall is a little crude.Most of the times, the packages don't
>work for me, and even if they do, I find that having my compiled
>packages mixed up with my normal packages, found in a official
>repository a little bit of a mix-up.It's better to have a clean
>computer from the start, and paco does exactly that.Oh, and paco has an
>option to create a package (tar.gz though), that can be installed at a
>later date, using paco.It's really a better and cleaner way to manage
>source-installed programs.Just use it and you'll see.

I can't say I'm too keen on the idea of mixing package formats on one
machine. So, I think I'd go for checkinstall. However, I haven't used it
extensively so it might well have some problems. I just package the
software I need instead, it's easy enough :-)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.