Application Suggestion.Possible Breezy Intergration?

Alex Ferguson b_linuz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 14:55:08 CDT 2005

Hello,

First, I must congratulate you on your excelent
work.Ubuntu has been the distribution I've always been
looking for, clean, but doesn't place you (too far)
away from getting down and dirty, if you wish.Anyways,
I have a useful application suggestion to make.

Everyone (Well, most Ubuntu users) knows that many
times, when looking for an application in the
repositories, it is either (slightly) outdated, or in
more rare occasions, not there.Now, this is both good
and bad.Stability is good for everyone, but some want
the latest and greatest, and usually, they have to
compile from source.The problem is, after a while,
you're full with application folders that you keep
just for a mangy "make uninstall", and it becomes a
problem with folders exceding 700 MB (Wine, for
instance).Another problem is, there is no absolute,
not to mention easy, way to know what is installed by
source, and what is installed using packages.I don't
know if anyone else has been having these problems,
but I've been troubled by them quite some time now...

But, I found a solution.It comes by the name of "paco"
<http://paco.sourceforge.net/> and it's something like
a bookeeping application for source installed with
"make install".Operation is really easy, and it has a
simple GTK frontend for easy operation.Also, it has a
small size, about 1 MB or something.For me, it filled
one of the last "holes" in my whole Linux experience.

Now, what I'm suggesting here is a possible Breezy
intergration.It's small footprint makes testing quite
easy, or so I believe.Now, If I'm too late for Breezy,
someone could at least make a package of it and put it
into "Main" or something.I wouldn't say this if I
didn't find it truly helpful.Mabye someone from the
development team could use it for a while in order to
evaluate it.

Anyways, I hope my "cries" will not go unheard.It's a
shame such a great application to stay in the
"darkness".

Thank you for reading me.Keep up the good work!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato