Bitstream Vera Sans unhinted?

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini evandrofg at ig.com.br
Sun Sep 11 18:20:58 CDT 2005

Em Dom, 2005-09-11 às 15:09 -0400, skoal escreveu:
> > I think the first poster complaints about autohinter is disabled by
>
> > default. Isn't it?
>

> >> Yes, sir. I dunno. Why post the default config and ask if it should
>

> >> be the default? It was confusing to me as well. In general, I think
>
> >> devs would be opening up a can of worms by turning on font
>
> >> backends (by default) which are known to cause problems for
>
> >> many people, so that's why (by default) the autohinter is off.
>
> >> And, I think that's prudent...
>

> Ooops. Don't I look the dummy.  I just went back and checked his
> config.  He's talking about just "hinting", not the "autohinter".
> Please ignore my stupidity.  My apologies Evandro...
>

> \\//_
>

> --
> skoal

np :)
Here are two screenshots to show the difference:
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6426/rhythmbox3xy.png ubuntu default
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/9616/rhythmboxnew3he.png modified

I think the second one looks _much_ better and should be the default,
unless there are patent issues involved.

Evandro