sudo didn't work in a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 Colony 4

billy am wickedpuppy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:22:51 CDT 2005

billy at wickedpuppy:/boot$ hostname --long
localhost.localdomain

thats the result of my hostname --long ... :P

regards
billy

On 9/9/05, Alexander Botero <alex.botero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A possible diagnostic on the 'sudo' problem.
>
> The Debian's (and Ubuntu's) version of 'sudo' terminates straight after it
> has checked and failed to retrieve this machine's *long* hostname (long
> hostname is also also called FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain or Host Name)).
>
> NOTE: YOU MUST ENABLE ROOT PASSWORD BEFORE TRYING THESE TESTS.
> Make a test:
>
> a) Get current hostname of this PC (it's a short hostname)
> $ hostname
> 084202074190
>
> The name "084202074190" is OK. It is retrieved and set by dhcp (dhclient)
> via /etc/resolv.conf and other normal network settings (what I know). And
> sudo (sudo.c) gets it by gethostname(....) call.
> ------------------------------
> b) Get current long hostname of this PC (also called FQDN)
> $ hostname --fqdn
> hostname: Unknown host <-------------- Oops, It failed!
>
> (You can also say: "hostname --long")
>
> The Ubuntus version of sudo just prints an error message and terminates
> after it has failed on this check !
> It should'n be so rigid.
> ---------------------------------
>
> How to fix it??
>
> Set a proper (long) hostname manually. Like this
> $ su -c "hostname my.own.hostname.com <http://my.own.hostname.com/>"
>
> ( or: sudo hostname my.own.hostname.com <http://my.own.hostname.com/> )
>
> Check it:
> $ hostname --long
> my.own.hostname.com <http://my.own.hostname.com/>
>
> The original sudo command in Ubuntu Colony 4.
> $ sudo
> usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
> { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
>
> IT WORKS NOW.
>
> But do not try
> $ su -c "hostname my.own.hostname.org <http://my.own.hostname.org/>"
>
> Ubuntu's sudo command SUCKS a lot !!
>

> On 9/8/05, billy am <wickedpuppy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi ... my md5 sum of sudo matches yours yet it works .... know why?
> >
> > regards
> > billy

Deep down , everyone wants to be loved.
Annon
Let him who would move the world, first move himself
Socrates
Linuxasia.org <http://Linuxasia.org> - Latest Linux News From Around The
Region.

To remain as I am is impossible , I must die or be better.
Abraham Lincoln