Colony 4 report on old hardware

azz dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Thu Sep 8 05:27:37 CDT 2005

Hello, Martin.

"Did you find out which module(s) you have to load? Once you do, you

can load them automatically at system boot by putting them into

/etc/modules."

This is a common question on the forums, so I had written a wiki page
about it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/forum/hardware/OldSoundCard

I was just pointing out that currently, the user who does not know why
the soundcard is not working is not given much to go on.  Maybe "we
cannot attempt to search for older sound cards since that may cause
certain systems to crash" or a similar message?

"You will get some error messages on "sudo ifup wlan0", but they can be
ignored, it will work anyway. After the card has been activated, you can
see it in network-admin."

Ah!  I see.  I never did ifup, I just went straight to the networking
app to configure my WEP there.  I just added my WEP to the interfaces
file and it works!  Can ever be better integrated inthe the networking
tool or even the installer?

--
azz