Breezy installer resolution

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 8 04:38:55 CDT 2005

800x600 at 256 colours (vga=771) is SVGA. SVGA has been available since
1989.

I dare say that 99.9% of computers that people will install Ubuntu on
will be able to run SVGA without any problems. Given that there are more
computers out there that are unable to display 640x480 with 16 colours
than there are computers unable to display SVGA -- then shouldn't this
be the default? There should be an option for those that can't run SVGA
(instead of the other way around).

SVGA (800x600) is required for MS Windows XP which was released in 2001
which means there were more older computers around at that time, so it
is definitely well supported.

I read on google that Debian has now changed this for the next release
(though I can't find the link again just now). All other Linux
Distributions I've used have used SVGA (Mandriva, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo,
CentOS, Slackware, Knoppix, etc).

Anyone who can't run SVGA won't be able to run Ubuntu.

Thoughts?