Colony 3 report

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 4 16:41:49 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 05:57:16PM -0300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On 4 Sep, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
> >Erm, not really; it's supposed to be "Resize [name of partition] and
> >use freed space", where [name of partition] might be something like
> >/dev/discs/disc0/part1. Changing that to "a partition" would be getting
> >rid of rather valuable information for some people.
>
> This gave me pause, too -- I thought "/part" was rather an odd
> abbreviation for "partition". Adding a few words and quote marks would
> help here:
>
>     Resize the partition "/part", and use the freed space

Aside from space limitations (we only have a single line to play with,
and we need to take into account that translations into other languages
are often more verbose in terms of character count than English), it's
really not meant to look like that. "/part" is a bug.

In fact, I went back and checked, and the raw device name is run through
a common function in the partitioner called 'humandev' which produces
output of the form "IDE0 master, partition #1 (hda1)", so it should be
reasonably clear what's going on if all is working properly. If you're
seeing just "/part", then I screwed up, and I'd like to see
/var/log/partman from the installer as part of a bug report on
partman-auto.

Thanks,