Serious problems with msi 915g combo and breezy live from yesterday

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Thu Sep 1 18:05:45 CDT 2005

On Qui, 2005-09-01 at 17:56 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> I would like to report some weird things going on a msi 915g combo
> motherboard with an pci-x ATI video board:
> By first, the machine boots, but cannot set console font and cannot
> synchronize the clock. (the network card is correctly detected anyway
-
> probably my firewall).
> Second, it falls out of usplash and goes to a shell. It stays there
> forever (I let a machine on the whole night) , unless you press
> CTRL-ALT-F7. Then it starts X and gnome.
> lspci shows this video card as Ati unknown device 5b60 and 5b70
> 1002:5b60, 1002:5b70 - This is only one card which shows as two
separate
> devices.
> (I don't have any idea about what card is this - but it seems an
> pre-production radeon x300 - it's here for some time)

> After booting, my ubuntuexpress-shellhack installed it succesfully,
but
> the usplash became weird. Several out-of-place bars, and then the
screen
> suddenly goes to text mode, where some blue random characters appear.
It
> then goes to a screen with 3 lines of crap, and stays there.
> As the cd one, if I press CTRL-ALT-F7, gnome opens up and everything
> goes fine.
> Well, that's it. How can I help to fix these issues before breezy?
This
> machine is quite popular here in Brazil.

Just to complete this information, the same effects can be seen with MSI
915pl boards also (ctrl-alt-f7, weird usplash after installed), but as
this machine has no vt6410 chip, it does not need a patched
via82cxxx.ko.

This bizarre "gnome only when typing ctrl-alt-f7" happens also with msi
6540 (661fm-l), msi 6547 (645 ultra333) motherboard, both with
integrated sis 661fx video and using a nvidia geforce4 mx 440. I was not
able to install on it to verify the other problems.

Oh, one more thing - this happens also with the live build from today,
september 1st.

--
Alexandre Strube - Linux Preview - Unifacs