Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 24 15:11:32 CDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:11:40PM +0200, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:51 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > FindingPackages is a confused mess of different ideas, and it won't be
> > continued.  Rather, the ideas will be broken into distinct specifications.
>
> If all third party software distributors like Skype, Sun etc. would
> provide a better distribution license, we wouldn't have this thread,
> right?

Anything that the copyright holder allows us to redistribute can go into
multiverse, and for those packages there is no problem.  However, many of
them do not want others to redistribute their software for one reason or
another, even if they distribute it themselves at no cost.

> Creating a repos for commercial-third-party applications is no big deal,
> but I think it's the same as backports problem in the past...there
> shouldn't be an external repos, where people can inject unknown
> packages. There should be a bit of security for the user.

Where redistribution is not allowed, there is no option for us to do other
than support an external repository.

--
 - mdz