Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Mon Oct 24 14:11:40 CDT 2005

Good Evening,

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:51 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:46:07PM +0200, Jorge Bernal wrote:
> > On Monday 24 October 2005 19:48, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > The FindingPackages BOF and spec at UDU became a classic example of how we
> > > should NOT handle these discussions in the future. :-)
> > >
> > > This should be a separate, more specific specification about how to handle
> > > third-party .debs.
> >
> > well, maybe the local .deb handling should be resolved by another spec, but
> > FindingPackages should provide third-party vendors and developers a good
> > method for distrbutign software, and leaving local debs as a last resource.
>
> FindingPackages is a confused mess of different ideas, and it won't be
> continued.  Rather, the ideas will be broken into distinct specifications.

If all third party software distributors like Skype, Sun etc. would
provide a better distribution license, we wouldn't have this thread,
right?

Creating a repos for commercial-third-party applications is no big deal,
but I think it's the same as backports problem in the past...there
shouldn't be an external repos, where people can inject unknown
packages. There should be a bit of security for the user.

I, for my person, don't have a problem with "distributing free
closed-source software" but the creator should allow to distribute it
freely, without any contract or signature from someone...and a
distribution license like Suns is a nono for me.

regards,

\sh