George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Mon Oct 24 10:44:11 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 00:59 +0200, Sivan Green wrote:
> You should add to this the other flavors, Edubuntu and
> Kubuntu. We can say something like:
> "Ubuntu comes in several flavors, which are all based
> around the same core, with different set of packages to suit
> best your usage requirements:"
>
> Then put a list of the flavors, describing each with its own
> purpose.
>
> When we will have the easy flavor switching magic, as
> scheduled for discussion in UBZ, we'll be able to stress
> this even more, whith live demonstrations for user.

If I was trying to maintain brand recognition with the intent to have
the distro installed on manufacturers hardware and attract ISV's etc, I
would be very careful about what is happening here.  I can see a danger
of these "flavors" once again turning into the "same old unix crap",
yeah it's unix but it's all different.  ISV's require something stable
and concrete.  The possibility of having "Ubuntu" morph into a mish mash
of "flavors" and confuse the hell out of industry, users, OEM's etc is
very real.

The last thing I would want to hear as an ISV is, "Ubuntu comes in
several flavors".  They have already been down that road with Windows
and nobody likes it.  Ubuntu's "flavors" can be wildly more different
that windows "flavors".

Anyway just my $0.02 worth.