Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Sun Oct 23 17:59:26 CDT 2005

On 08:26, Fri 21 Oct 05, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> So, I tend to think we need to strongly link 'Ubuntu' and its applicability
> as a server so this kind of confusion doesn't set in. Here's my suggestion:
> We should always list the server CD as a 'flavour' of the official Ubuntu CD
> set, much like the LiveCD. For example:
>
>  * Ubuntu 5.10
>
>    - Desktop Installation CD -> a complete desktop environment with all the
>      applications you'd expect... and more! Includes a full office suite,
>      web browser, email and groupware client and even a few simple games.
>
>    - Desktop Live CD -> a 'live' demonstration version of the Ubuntu desktop
>      that you can safely run on your computer without changing your existing
>      operating system. A great way to show off Ubuntu to your friends!
>
>    - Server Installation CD -> built specifically for server administrators,
>      this modified CD installs a minimal Ubuntu server system and includes
>      installable packages for many popular Open Source server tools such as
>      Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.

You should add to this the other flavors, Edubuntu and
Kubuntu. We can say something like:
"Ubuntu comes in several flavors, which are all based
around the same core, with different set of packages to suit
best your usage requirements:"

Then put a list of the flavors, describing each with its own
purpose.

When we will have the easy flavor switching magic, as
scheduled for discussion in UBZ, we'll be able to stress
this even more, whith live demonstrations for user.

Sivan

Sivan