Deb Installer for Dapper.

Evan Dandrea xevand at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 15:50:58 CDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Josué Alcalde González <josuealcalde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some personal ideas:
> - When you click on a Debian Package, you will see the properties of the
> file.

- Then, you can install it. Password will be needed. An advise will
> appear.
> - You can avoid to open Debian Packages from the browser. (Like .exe in
> windows).

My fear is that we'll still have problems even if the .debs download to the
desktop first, before getting clicked on and installed. My girlfriend uses
Ubuntu on her computer. She's a writer, she mainly uses it for OpenOffice
and Gaim, but on one occasion she went looking for some wallpaper. Not
understanding file extensions she downloaded SomeWallpaper.exe to her
desktop and then tried running it. WINE couldn't handle the installer that
was trying to put some spyware onto her computer, but if it was a .deb
instead of a .exe she'd be in trouble.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think we need to maintain some level
of software moderation for the base install, which apt and the MOTUs
currently handle beautifully. If there really are a lot of users that need
.deb to be installed by double-click, make it an option and bury it in the
preferences somewhere.

- MOTU can't control every software out there. (Because of license and
> resources).

Right. However, if we create an additional repository, or some third party
creates one and we offer a simple way to enable known-to-be-safe external
repositories, then we can cover ~90% of the software needed by most users.
What outside of main and Universe do people use? Skype, Java, and a few
other things. Most people don't need to give the entire Internet the power
to install software on their computer.