John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Oct 21 06:13:14 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:47 +0200, HC Brugmans wrote:
> I think the piont here should be how to avoid confusion, because there
> are already many ubuntu-branches, deriviates etc.
> People need to know that Ubuntu is behind Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu,
> and their respective flavors. That this is not fracturation of the
> community, and that these are not 'seperate', they're all working from
> the same base, to the same goal, through a different means.
>
> It is not unlikely that if this trend continues unstructured, the amount
> of 'brands' based on ubuntu will explode, and people will get lost in
> the meriad of options offered.
>
> I say we need to provide a definitive resource, prominently listed on
> the site, listing all the projects, their featureset, intended audience
> and featureset, as well as the fact that one can easily turn an
> ubuntu-minimal install to a kde-desktop or an edubuntu-server-setup with
> about 2 mouseclicks.
>
> -Hidde

Just to brain storm a little.

How about a common installation cd and then have desktop+live, server
+live, kubuntu+live and so forth as an extension to the common base?

Or an a similar theme have the iso generated on the fly letting the user
choose components on the download page?

Or just go along with the crowd and act as if ubuntu-server was a
different thing.

Regards,
John