Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 19 03:44:21 CDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:37:42PM -0500, R S Gill wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi,

> I have asked this question in the user list but no one was able to help.
>
> Update notifier keeps telling me that there are 6 updates to install.
> When I tell it to go ahead and install them, update notifier tells me
> that there is a lock on the package list.

Could you please make sure that there is no runing apt-get, aptitude
or synaptic when you open the update-manager (check with e.g. System
Monitor and make sure that you display all proceses)?

There can only be one application that deals with package
installs/removals. If that dosn't help, please send me (in a private
mail, this isn't really a topic for the ubuntu-devel list) the output
of (in a terminal):
$ sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Cheers,
 Michael