Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 19 01:54:37 CDT 2005

<quote who="Martin Pitt">

> Hi!
>
> Matt Zimmerman [2005-10-18 12:55 -0700]:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:57:20AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > > For Dapper I thought about switching gstreamer to ALSA by default, and
> > > instead collect bug reports about cards where dmix does not work.
> > > Upstream is interested about these reports, and eventually ALSA should
> > > just be fixed to work everywhere instead of using crude hacks like
> > > sound daemons indefinitely.
> >
> > This sounds good to me; let's do it as early as possible and give
> > ourselves the option of moving back to esd if it goes poorly.
>
> FOr dapper I did not thought about dropping esound. We should just switch
> the gstreamer default sink and leave esd running so that users can switch
> back easily in case dmix does not work for them. When we are sure that
> dmix does a reasonable job, we can drop esd in the following release, so
> that we get a stepwise transition.

... but keep in mind that for simple dinging and ding-caching, libgnome uses
esd directly. Upstream will need a small kick to sort that out. The earlier
in the release process the better, as per usual.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

       "The worst vice is ad-vice." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate