Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Tue Oct 18 07:04:45 CDT 2005

Stefan Potyra schrieb am 17.10.2005 17:50:

> Hi Christoph,

Hi Stefan,

> have you tried to do a apt-get dist-upgrade yet? If dpkg happens to be
> unpacked before util-linux, util-linux *might* update w.o. problems.

No, I didn't just because I think there's something special wrong
with my installation. Upgrade of util-linux already failed on Hoary.
This is quite strange I think, especially because I didn't find any
similar report.

> If this doesn't work, you could comment out the install-info command from
> prerm and postinst under
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/util-linux.prerm
> and
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/util-linux.postinst

I did so with the Hoary respositories again in sources.list. It
succeeded. Thanks! But there's something wrong with install-info. I
can not remove (the not fully installed) gv because of an error
caused by install-info.

> and redo the upgrade.
> After the upgrade you can then install the missing info-page by manually
> runinng "install-info --quiet --section [...]", as in the postinst.

To be honest I'd like to know what's going wrong on my machine. And
now that I want to dist-upgrade Hoary errors occured with

 wget
 cpio
 info
 texinfo

. And it's always the post-installation script:

root at skull:~# LANG=C apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
4 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up cpio (2.5-1.1ubuntu1.1) ...
install-info: unrecognized option `--description=A program to manage
archives of files.'
        Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error processing cpio (--configure):
Setting up info (4.7-2.2ubuntu1.1) ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing info (--configure):
Setting up texinfo (4.7-2.2ubuntu1.1) ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing texinfo (--configure):
Setting up wget (1.9.1-10ubuntu2.2) ...
install-info: No such file or directory for Network Applications
dpkg: error processing wget (--configure):
 cpio
 info
 texinfo
 wget