Jane Silber jane.silber at canonical.com
Mon Oct 17 04:17:14 CDT 2005

Hi all -

I had to see a picture to get my head around the implications of
multiple kernels and long-term support, so  I've attached it in case it
helps anyone else think about this.  I wanted to see what sort of
security/supportability quagmire we might be getting in, so this
represents the scenario where we have different kernels for Dapper and
then continue on that path. So in some senses this is a worst case
scenario (i.e., continue to have different kernels for desktops and
servers for each release), but I also think that once we go down the
path of having separate kernels, it will be difficult to pull them back
in line, so in some ways I think this is also a realistic scenario.

Also, I've assumed that we will do longer life cycle releases every 2
years, but this is not a decision or commitment to do so - just an
assumption for this drawing.

You'll note that worst case scenario ends up being 9 kernels being
supported concurrently, but even as early as a year from now we could
potentially be up to 5.

Cheers,
Jane