Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Mon Oct 17 03:26:49 CDT 2005

Good Morning Martin,

Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 10:14 +0200 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> Hi Jeff!
>
> Jeff Waugh [2005-10-14 13:18 +0100]:
> >     * GNOME 2.14, KDE
>
> Just a random idea: I believe many bugs (that users will be aware of)
> certainly result from new Gnome versions. In our last release
> processes, we only had one month for stabilizing the final Gnome until
> we released.
>
> So what if we released Dapper in May instead of April? This would give
> us a full extra month that we could spend just for bug fixing and CD
> testing (another field where we performed badly in Breezy IMHO).

I think this is not really the issue. Regarding a 3 to 5 years support
promise, it gives us the possibilty to bugfix (and polish?) everything
via dapper-updates. That is what rh or others with their "enterprise
distributions" are doing.

Security fixes are happening every time till EoL.

But regarding a 3 year support of the desktop base (means Gnome) there
should be a "unbreakable
vow" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbreakable_Vow), that no new
features are coming in during this support timeframe, and the support
"promise" should state out clearly, that the support only complies to
the features promised for e.g. gnome 2.14.x

Regards,

\sh