Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 15 10:46:01 CDT 2005

<quote who="Ante Karamatic">

> Idea is to release Dapper in April and leave it like that for ever :).
> Enterprise is slow in addoption new things. So, we would have some time to
> polish it (bugs, testing, etc...). Then, in October (or even sooner) just
> mark it as a enterprise ready (without changing a thing in it; maybe
> supply CD with fixes or just leave that to security.ubuntu.com).  Like
> guarantee or something like that.
>
> This is just an idea...

Right, that means:

 a) we follow a normal six month release process, without any specific focus
    on making the release appropriate for the long term support cycle [1]

 b) we have to wait until October before shipping a long term supported
    release, while we've committed to doing so in April

We can't just follow the same release process and expect to be able to ship
a long term supportable system. 6.04 will be different, so we need to think
about it differently.

- Jeff

[1] this is all about managing long term support cycle, not 'enterprise',
which doesn't actually mean anything sensible

--
UbuntuBelowZero in Montreal!          http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBelowZero

                             He's not an idiot.
                            The doctor said so.