Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Ivan Krstic krstic at hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Oct 15 08:21:19 CDT 2005

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> That's surprisingly strong language for a fairly straight forward release
> management proposal. :-)

Sorry, it wasn't intended to come across particularly strongly.

> I specifically listed some of the likely expections to
> a continuing upstream version freeze in the first email in this thread...

Yes, but it seems to me that the exceptions you listed, along with their
dependencies, are precisely the large, complex pieces of software that
would benefit most from *not* being unfrozen from their Breezy versions.
 In other words, if we let in the new versions of the exceptions you
proposed, I'm not convinced that even freezing the rest of main
completely would go a long way towards letting us put out a much more
supportable release.

You didn't comment on adding some extra time to the release cycle until
the release becomes enterprise-ready: I'm interested to hear what you think.

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at hcs.harvard.edu> | 0x147C722D