Release management thoughts for Dapper Drake

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Sat Oct 15 02:53:36 CDT 2005

(Following my previous thread to make things clear)

On 09:27, Sat 15 Oct 05, Sivan Green wrote:
> On 13:18, Fri 14 Oct 05, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > to ship a long-term supported release with only the testing it will receive
> > during its six-month development cycle - that's not going to be enough.
> >

> Very resonable, I've also been feeling we need more time for
> bugfixing and to allow to  stablize more before release.
> I've been even getting feedback from collegues and
> interested parties (especially in the enterprise markets
> near me) that they would like to see more of this before
> they will consider deploying Ubuntu widely.

Inline with Scott's opinion, those folks have
been noting that most of the server software mostly sustain
the majority of upgrades and transitions , while the other
desktopish and user oriented ones , take up more support time
and effort  to sort out on need. Maybe this can be bridged by
letting in the a portion of the latest stuff, but decide the
border line very early in the process and not crossing it?

Sivan