LTSP testing: ltsp-build-client seems to have aborted during install

Dale Gallagher fastfoo at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 10 05:32:08 CDT 2005

Hi

I'm new to serious Debian sysadmin (maintain a few desktops and used to
maintain one server remotely) _and_ a complete LTSP newbie - just so you
know where I stand. However, I have extensive Linux experience
(Slackware) so answers can be technical, might just be slower on the
Debian stuff.

Info:

Running an up-to-date breezy install.
Followed https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto
(installed dhcpd.conf separately, with ltsp-server pkg)

When running ltsp-build-client it aborted after downloading packages and
killed X - seems to be improperly installed. I did this twice to be certain.

Thin client (HPt5525) booted via PXE until:

aborted at the TFTP section so I did the following:

cp -p /usr/lib/syslinux/* /var/lib/tftpboot

Then rebooted the thin client which progressed to:

TFTP prefix: /ltsp/
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/01-00-14-38-bb-d8-12
Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default
Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

I then discovered that there was no LTSP kernel anywhere.. hence the
realisation that the ltsp-build-client script shouldn't have killed X
and that something was amiss.

Does the install script leave a log somewhere (will start looking).

How can I help debug this, as I'd prefer not to install LTSP from
scratch, if at all possible, though I'm time contrained and might have
to... Hoping for some assistance, thanks!

cheers
Dale