RFC: X keyboard selection

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 10 05:11:45 CDT 2005

Hi,
For dapper, I want to drastically simplify the X keyboard selection.
And by 'simplify', I mean 'remove most of'.

Right now, we do a two-tiered mapping:
  * console layout + language -> X layout,
  * console layout -> X layout,
  * language -> X layout.

I would like to get rid of the language bit entirely, and just do a
straight console layout -> X layout mapping.  It's a particularly
problematic bit of code, and I would like to *always* see consistent
keyboard maps between the console and X.  Removing the language,
while arguably[0] removing most of the smarts, allows us to do this,
and makes for a far more predictable keyboard selection.  Right
now, the keyboard selection is basically the only random unknown we
have in the X process, and we've been tweaking it non-stop since
Mataró.

Any thoughts?  Matthias U?

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: The flipside of that argument is that we're shooting ourselves
     in the foot, which isn't widely acknowledged as being incredibly
     smart.