Software suspend is scary, and multiple booting

Ian Jackson ian at davenant.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 11:58:04 CDT 2005

Martin Pitt writes ("Re: Software suspend is scary, and multiple booting"):
> Ian Jackson [2005-10-05 15:39 +0100]:
> > * After selecting `Hibernate', the screen immediately goes black.
> >   There is no feedback indicating that (a) the option has worked and
> >   (b) when it is OK to remove mains power (eg by unplugging)
>
> That really sounds like a bug. This works fine for me, I get into text
> mode and get some ASCII progress meters and after it's finished, the
> computer powers off. I think that's the way it should look like.

That sounds better, yes.

> I get the effect you describe if I switch to the proprietary nvidia
> driver, which doesn't seem to support STD. Screen goes black,
> eventually the computer powers off, and after resume I just get a
> yellowish screen without any further reaction.

No:

0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI Control0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset I
ntegrated Graphics Device (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 5641
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

Ian.