An idea of project

David Garcinuño Enríquez dagaren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:15:57 CDT 2005

First, sorry but my english is very bad ;)

I am a Spanish student of technical engineering in computer sciences
at the University of Salamanca (Spain). I have to make a project for
finishing the first part of my degree and I am interested in making a
free software application. I have been a linux user (now Ubuntu) for 3
years, so I think I have a middle-level of linux. I am really
enthusiastic with the idea of programming something for the free
software community, and I can spend a lot of time working on it (5
montghs approximately)

Sometimes system administration is confusing, due to we must know and
use a lot of commands with a lot of different options and lots of
different configuration files (with lots of different formats), and
many times we have no access to a X server. So my idea is related with
an application for system administration (users, passwords, disk
quotas, number of preocesses, file permissions, periodic tasks,
networking and so on) that is based in ncurses library. In other
words, I propose an application for making easier the administration
and visualitation of a linux system, in a way that the different
features could be added and removed easily as if they were plugins. I
have thought in Python as programming language. I dont know if
anything like this has already been made ( for Ubuntu/Debian), but if
it has already made, I would look for another thing to do that was
interesting for linux programming.

So I need your opinion

Thank you very much for paying me some attention