ubuntu can damage your hardware? (radeontool)

Wouter Stomp wouterstomp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:45:36 CDT 2005

The latest update installed radeontool on my computer. From the
description of radeontool in synaptic:

WARNING: Radeontool code has not been completely audited and may contain bugs
that could damage your hardware. Use at your own risk.

I think either this is not mature enough to be included in ubuntu by
default or this warning message should be toned down a little... I
don't think a lot of people will feel very comfortable installing this
on their computer with the current description. How safe or dangerous
is this package?

Wouter.