Trash

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 28 23:44:59 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:52 -0800, Corey Burger wrote:

> Automatically deleting things violates the concept that users data is
> sacred. There is no valid reason in my mind why this concept should be
> broken anywhere.
>
> Corey

I strongly agree. Having files deleted automatically is unexpected
behaviour, regardless of the fact that they are in the "trash". Anyway,
what's the big deal with users having old files in their trash? The
majority of modern desktops have copious amounts of hard drive space and
for many users it's not an issue. If it becomes an issue (ie. space is
low) then IMHO the best course of action is for the user to be notified
about it and given *options* and *suggestions* (such as enabling this
feature, or emptying trash, etc)... as opposed to having their files
secretly deleted periodically, when the user has not authorised such
behaviour.

Carey.