Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri Nov 25 05:04:41 CST 2005

Carlos,

I forward this to the Mailing List because it's important that others can see
your opinion...

As reply to your comment:

I don't mind if the user wants to have ActiveX or not, but there must be a
split, between a framework which gives you the possibility and functionality
to run windows applications on a different OS, and windows userland
apps/libs.

Again, when we're packaging this, we're responsible for the sources, resulting
binaries of the sources  and for all attached apps/libs, which will be
packaged together with the sources and resulting binary packages.

Means, the plugin has to be shipped  as binary, because no one can compile
windows binaries without a windows c/c++ compiler.
Therefore, we can't be sure, that this plugin (even if it's opensource) is
bugfree or at least has no known bugs.

If something is wrong with this userland application/library, we have to make
sure, that this userland application/library is fixed, which we can't because
we don't compile windows applications/libraries.

Seeing those binary applications/libraries bundled with a framework, which
can't compile those userland stuff out of their own source, there is no way a
distribution can support this (even then if wine stays in universe, the MOTUs
are supporting actively their universe).

Your last statement is as well very important. No one can ship a library or
plugin for something which is not shipped with. So if you think you have to
ship a plugin for firefox/mozilla with wine, you have to ship mozilla/firefox
as well with your package, which actually gives me more headaches then ever.

No one denies, that upstream can bundle this in their own responsibilty. But
for a distribution, which ships this framework, there is no way to support
what you want.

As I said, when I (re-)package wine, and there is a binary userland package,
which is not compiled from source, I will not install it in the resulting
ubuntu package.
Even if sabdfl himself is requesting this, I would deny his request. I, for
myself, don't want to be responsible for this ;)

Regards,

\sh