John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Tue Nov 22 05:31:11 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 14:33 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:07:00PM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> > I simply meant that if you know that root is on an USB device this can
> > be (and probably is) reflected in the parameters to the kernel.
>
> It is impossible to distinguish between SCSI, SATA and USB devices based
> solely on pathnames.

Ok, my bad. But my point still holds. If we can say that root is on this
or that device we can also say what kind of device that is.

> > So the whole point of my suggestion was not to not load USB at all. Just
> > defer it if possible to a later stage in the boot process so that it can
> > be loaded in parallel.
>
> USB is needed anyway, as more and more systems rely on USB for keyboard
> input on the console.

I my self is one of them. This one of the other things I'm a bit
ignorant of. When grub lets me select menu entry in the boot menu, is
grub then using an USB driver for grub or is it using some bios trick to
think that it is an ordinary kbd? If the later, can't the kernel do the
same. At least for a while?

Is input devices needed early in the boot process?

Regards,
John