Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 02:21:32 CST 2005

On 11/14/05, Sebastian Dröge <mail at slomosnail.de> wrote:
> On So, 2005-11-13 at 17:45 +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > In Breezy, the skge driver is overriding the sk98lin driver. I believe
> > that may be a mistake. On my A7V600 motherboard I have experienced
> > hard (keyboard unresponsive, SysRq not working) lockups. Upgrading the
> > BIOS of the motherboard did nothing to aleviate the situation.
> >
> > If I can get my hands on a null modem cable, I can potentially debug
> > these crashes.
> >
> > In the meantime, you may want to consider giving the sk98lin driver
> > priority over the skge driver.
>
> Well, the skge driver works fine here with the same board and nic... are
> you sure it's caused by that driver? did you already try switching back
> to sk98lin on the same kernel?

Interesting. I have a Silicon Image PCI0680 IDE card, a LSI/Symbios
53C896/897 card and a nVidia NV38 card added to the system. The system
had worked perfectly on Hoary.

When I started copying 3+ GB of ISO's across that NIC the box would
hang after approx a gig of traffic. On the 2.6.14.2 kernel I compiled
with sk98lin, I have copied the same 3+ GB of ISO's, 4+ GB of ogg's
and mp3's as well as a bit over a gig of images from my digital
camera. No lockup so far.

On 2.6.12-9-k7, it did not work putting "skge" in
/etc/hotplug/blacklist to prevent it loading, and even after unloading
skge, "modprobe sk98lin" would not load the sk98lin driver. insmod
with a full path would do it however.

As the box in question is running multiple services for me I'd prefer
it to be stable, and I appear to have achieved that with 2.6.14.2.
Once I have located a null modem cable, I will boot 2.6.12-9-k7 again,
attempt to crash it and submit a bug.

Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>