Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 13 15:00:01 CST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 02:54:01PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> If they're willing to change the soname later, how comes they aren't
> willing to change it now?

The same thing has happened for basically every other point release
lately.

> This sort of thing basically takes FreeType out
> of the desktop Linux platform entirely which is a serious loss.
>
> If you do insist on upgrading FreeType before the versioning problem is
> sorted out, could you please chuck up a website somewhere and do some kind
> of 'fork' (not really a fork, just a set of easily obtained patches and an
> explanatory webpage)? That way there's a better chance that other distros
> will switch to this patched version instead of Debian, Red Hat, SUSE etc
> all doing their own custom patches and breaking binary compatibility for
> good.

Odds are pretty low.  It's happened before, and I think the odds of
finding someone cluey enough with the nitty-gritty details of fonts to
do it are very small.

As I said earlier, it's hardly the first time; it's happened about five
times before in this series.