Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 9 11:28:27 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:10:25PM +0100, Rick Rocker wrote:
> Regarding my problem with sound output one of the
> answers was that my sound on Knoppix works because
> Knoppix uses OSS but Ubuntu uses ALSA.
>
> So I think that the way for me is to "kill" ALSA and install
> and/or start OSS.
>
> But to this timepoint I am very confused. There are ALSA, OSS
> , esd , kernel modules and many more things. i don't know
> where what belongs. What to start, what to do, and so on...
>
> I ask here because here I got at least some answers. On
> -users I don't get one useful answer. I think because the
> users are not experienced enough. Only fortunately
> Ubuntu works for them - on some magical way - .
>
> [...]

Yes, but unfortunately if every question that was asked but not
answered on -users, was asked on -devel, then -devel would become
useless for actual development, and another devel list would have to be
set up.  Please persevere with -users, or use Google, or so; -devel is
really, really not the right forum for this type of question.