Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 8 12:05:17 CST 2005

Matt Galvin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> With Dapper dev ramping up I was thinking a little about more ways in
> which we can prove how easy to use, flexible and beneficial Open
> Source/Free Software can be and had this idea about creating instant
> server-on-a-disc iso's that would allow a person to, let's say,

[SNIP]

> What do you all think?

Hi Matt,

I think it is a good idea, but after reading the thread i see that the team you
are building is going to perform a lot of duplicate work that has been just
spec'd at UBZ.

First we should avoid to waste resources and work together and make
ubuntu-server ROCK hard! :)

I suggest everybody interested in -server to _read_ the spec here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerCandy

I was just waiting for Jeff W. to be back to open an ubuntu-server mailing list
and to talk with 2 guys hanging on #ubuntu-server irc channel to make it more
official before announcing the project, but i guess it's better to start sooner
than later.
(I will take care to make an announcement about the infrastructures as soon as
they are in place)

In terms of implementation, I agree that there is no need of another CD. What I
suggest is to use ubuntu-server CD as a base for a set of meta packages that
will install instant server. It will avoid a lot of extra code and you will be
able to base it on supported software (that for dapper is definetely a plus
given the 5 year support on server).

The general idea behind the -server install is that the CD will bring the
administrator to the bare bone base system and from there install whatever
he/she wants.

We are not going (in general) to modify d-i or ask extra questions at install
time or to install any service by default, but clearly make it simpler is still
an option (like using your meta package suggestion).

On the notes, the kernel team is working on a kernel-server fine tuned for
server tasks so cooperation on that front will be good. If you have suggestions,
please send them to kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com.

Cheers,
Fabio