Sebastian Dröge mail at slomosnail.de
Thu Nov 3 03:17:44 CST 2005

On Do, 2005-11-03 at 01:08 -0800, crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:00:32PM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> > I said rip out these *parts* off ffmpeg
>
> What parts do you want to rip out, only the parts that prevent vlc from
> compiling if you use proper lib{avformat,avcodec,postproc}-dev build-
> depends or the questionably non-free portions or both? The first is
> impossible due to libpostproc-dev being in multiverse; the second is
> the impetus for Sebastian's e-mail.
>
> > as i said, i have no idea how much of a role either of these provide for
> > ffmpeg
> >
> > if its essential then that sucks :( and i guess vlc will have to goto
> > multiverse
>
> It's the only solution, as either Sebastian or I can see, to resolve
> both the license and build-dep issues.
>
> > so, what is the reason its in multiverse?
>
> I have no idea why libpostproc-dev is in multiverse as opposed to
> universe.

But I know the reason. I tried to get ffmpeg (and all
rdepends/build-rdepends) into multiverse maybe a month before breezy
release. I got it out of main back then but I didn't get the time to
move all rdepends/build-rdepends out of universe so most of the ffmpeg
stuff stayed in universe, only libpostproc-dev went to multiverse as it
had no rdepends

Bye