Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 2 09:08:10 CST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 01:51:21PM +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> If I want to open a file with an application other than the default in
> firefox, I select "Other" then it takes me to the "Choose Helper
> Application" dialogue.
>
> However it doesn't give me a list of applications at all, it gives me a
> dialogue where I have to go and browse the file system and select the
> program manually from (e.g.) /usr/bin/xmms.
>
> This is a pretty difficult thing to do, and also more time-consuming
> that simply clicking on a list of programs, which I am pretty sure is
> what used to happen in the old days.
>
> Any chances of improving this for dapper? I couldn't find a bug about it
> so I opened one at #18661

Some related issues are being addressed in
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/default-applications-firefox

For issues like this (which are really feature ideas and not bug reports),
the most helpful thing to do is to work on a specification which describes
how it ought to work.  By thinking through the problem and providing a clear
and complete description of your idea, you can improve the chances of
your idea being implemented.  Interested developers will be able to
understand what you mean, and you will have saved them a significant amount
of time.

--
 - mdz