Kernel panic with ide-scsi emulation

Daniel Betschart dbet1 at gmx.net
Wed May 25 07:59:20 CDT 2005

I have troubles to reactivate ide-scsi. I have changed my /etc/modules
to load ide-scsi instead of ide-cd. I also load sg and sr-mod before
ide-scsi. After that I load the driver for my SCSI adapter aic7xxx,
because I have a MO drive also. In /boot/grub/menu.lst I have set
hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi.

After booting with recovery mode (no X) I see that ide-scsi is loaded,
but also ide-cd. I unload ide-cd, mount a CD with mount -t iso9660
/dev/hdc1 /cdrom and browse through the directories on the CD.

But when I want to copy the files to a location on the harddisk, the
kernel becomes panic. The screen is full with messages about the stack.

I also receive a kernel panic if I do not copy files but unmount the CD
and want to unload the module ide-scsi.

Daniel