UserLinux Metapackages

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Mon May 23 10:59:09 CDT 2005

<quote who="Erik Bågfors" date="2005-05-22 15:12:31 +0200">
> Just out of couriosity, what's the plan with this?
> Will this be in ubuntu main?
> Do the packages only depend on things in main?

No and no.  You need to have universe enabled to install these
packages. These can't go into main. Sorry I forgot to mention this.

> Will it be an option when you install?

No. I doubt it. I think we should continue to offer sane defaults. If
you do a custom install and then install this metapackage, you will
get the the UserLinux system. We could generate special CDs of similar
to Kubuntu though. We should leave the defaults sane. I'm simply not
sure that the demand for this is anywhere near high enough to make
this an install option.

> Will there be any official colaboration between ubuntu and UL?

We'll see. I'd love to see more. As I alluded to before, I've
rewritten their packages from scratch now. There are a few other
hackers who seem participate in one way or another in both
communities. I'm still hopeful that we can move toward some sort of
deeper collaboration.

> What extra things does this give me?

Well, the packages bring in well over a gig and a half of extra
software when they are all installed. If you add these to your sources
list, you can use your package manager to look at the descriptions of
the packages and at the list of dependencies. I will try to write this
up into a niceer list with a more narrative list of pieces of
software. I think you are correct that this would be something
extremely useful. :)

I hope that helped. :)

Regards,
Mako