Users and Groups administration tool

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at
Fri Mar 18 02:13:57 CST 2005

Nathan Sprangers [2005-03-17 20:47 -0500]:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:49:11 -0500, Nis <dlist at> wrote:
> >
> > To make this change you don't really have to reinstall.  Just add the
> > admin group and add yourself to it, remove your username from sudoers
> > (optional), and add %admin to sudoers.  I do agree that this would be
> > nice to add to the upgrade but maybe there is some potentially
> > dangerous problem doing this automatically.  The addition of the admin
> > group and change in sodoers does allow more than one admin user and an
> > easy way to change this through the "Users and Groups" tool.
> Is there any way a script that does this be run when upgrading from
> Warty  to Hoary?  I'm not sure how that would happen, maybe be part of
> the sudo package's configuration?

Automatically touching security relevant files like sudoers is
generally not a good idea. Admins might keep the current configuration
for a reason. So the best thing we can offer is to put a detailled
explanation into the upgrade notes.

Have a nice day,

Martin Pitt
Ubuntu Developer