kernel NULL pointer dereference --> *unstable*

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Wed Mar 16 13:44:09 CST 2005

I installed warty at my girlfriends computer, which was running fine.
After upgrading to hoary, stuff like dpkg and eog started segfaulting.
That's with kernel 2.6.10-3 , and with -4 as well. I downgraded to
2.6.8.1 (From warty), and now it's stable (But I can't burn cd's etcetera)

The logs show:

kern.log:Mar 14 08:18:44
localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 00000010

kern.log.0:Mar 13 10:29:38
localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 00000014

syslog:Mar 14 08:18:44
localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 00000010

syslog.0:Mar 13 10:29:38
localhost kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 00000014

There was lots more of this, but as soon as the problem arises the
system get unstable, so I could only check the logs after reboot.

I just saw a 2.6.10-5 was released, and I'll try it, but I'm sceptical.

What should I do if the problem persists? What info do you need? Is
there a test-script I can run for you?

I hope we can get this bug before the release. Please be aware that this
is on my girlfriends computer, so I can't test all day. (Openoffice
crashes at her place, too, but I'm afraid that's another issue...) I
myself am happily running hoary, with no problems.

Thanks,

Eric