runlevels

matthew.east at breathe.com matthew.east at breathe.com
Sat Mar 12 21:13:45 CST 2005

I have a query regarding the current state of runlevels in ubuntu. Hope this
is the right list.

Since I am a laptop user I wondered about the possibility of choosing from
grub to boot into two possible runlevels so that in one runlevel I would
load my network services (network, ntpdate, smb, etc) and in the other
runlevel I would not load network things, for when I am not using my laptop
connected to a network. This is important because if I am not connected and
I try my usual boot, it spends a fair while trying to get an ip via dhcp and
so on.

AFAICS the network starting services are in rcS, which as I understand it is
started on every boot. So without a bit of working around, the result I
describe in the previous paragraph is a bit difficult, especially with
things like initscript dependencies. Of course, this is not helped by the
fact that editing initscripts in ubuntu is pretty difficult, unless I have
missed some tool.

gentoo have lovely initscripts and it is easy as pie to get two runlevels
such as those I have described into the grub menu. Can this be done with
ubuntu? if not, will it ever be possible?

thanks for your attention, Matt