Call for testing: Preview candidate available

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Thu Mar 10 12:23:05 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 13:10 -0500, deelerious wrote:
> George Farris Wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 13:24 +0000, Juan Jesus Ojeda Croissier
> > wrote:[color=blue]
> > I'm getting a "Totem could not startup", "Resource busy or not
> > available" when trying to start totem from the menu.
> >
> > I have totem and totem-gstreamer installed, esd running, and most
> > gstreamer plugins including ffmpeg installed.
> >

> Start System>Preferences>Multimedia Systems Selector or run
> "gstreamer-properties" and change the video output method to "XWindows
> (no Xv)" or SDL. Click the Test button to find out the output method
> that works. Once configured, it should start. Performance is likely to
> be quite poor without Xv however.

Yes that works, thanks.  So, the error message that Totem displays
should be changed to reflect this..  "Resource busy or not available" is
just not enough information for users.

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College

As with the rail barons of the past:
There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
business.