Enabled repositories in default install

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jun 27 04:20:56 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 03:50:58AM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 07:18:10AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> >
>> >What, unstable/testing? They're pretty bad names IMHO as most people
>> >seem to equate stability with crashyness of individual programs,
>> >whereas stuff can be in unstable yet be very well tested and solid
>> >versions (or maybe not).
>>
>> You are mixing things up!
>
>Hmm, it seems you are also mixing thing up a little bit.
>
>> Stable/testing/unstable (Sarge/Etch/Sid) are "distributions" (in the
>> Debian sense of the word, check http://packages.debian.org/), Ubuntu has
>> only two distributions, stable/unstable (Hoary/Breezy).
>>
>> What is discussed in this thread are the sections of the repositories.
>> Debian has four:
>>
>>  main
>>  contrib
>>  non-free
>>  non-US
>
>non-US is a parallel thing to main/contrib/non-free.  There are actually:
>
>main
>contrib
>non-free
>non-US/main
>non-US/contrib
>non-US/non-free

Ah, yes I stand corrected. I haven't run Debian in a while so I had
simply forgotten. It's also kind of interesting that packages.debian.org
lists non-US next to the real sections--no mention of
non-US/{main,contrib,non-free}. A bug I guess.

>And non-US is obsoleted in sarge release anyway.

That's a good thing.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The right to speak PGP is the right to speak Navajo.
      -- Eben Moglen