Enabled repositories in default install

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 03:50:58 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 07:18:10AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 10:17:10PM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> >On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:42:26 +1000, John Skaller wrote:
> >>Anyhow the Debian names make more sense to me, and it seems silly to
> >>change them for Ubuntu, since the categorisation concept is the same.
> >
> >What, unstable/testing? They're pretty bad names IMHO as most people
> >seem to equate stability with crashyness of individual programs,
> >whereas stuff can be in unstable yet be very well tested and solid
> >versions (or maybe not).
>
> You are mixing things up!

Hmm, it seems you are also mixing thing up a little bit.

> Stable/testing/unstable (Sarge/Etch/Sid) are "distributions" (in the
> Debian sense of the word, check http://packages.debian.org/), Ubuntu has
> only two distributions, stable/unstable (Hoary/Breezy).
>
> What is discussed in this thread are the sections of the repositories.
> Debian has four:
>
>  main
>  contrib
>  non-free
>  non-US

non-US is a parallel thing to main/contrib/non-free.  There are actually:

main
contrib
non-free
non-US/main
non-US/contrib
non-US/non-free

And non-US is obsoleted in sarge release anyway.

> Ubuntu also has four:
>
>  main
>  restricted
>  universe
>  multiverse

Apart from that confusion, all your other notes are correct as far as I
know.

As for this "universe" name issue, I don't think there is a need to
change the name.  Write better descripition about universe section,
maybe.  But why change the name?  Just to give an example, I estimate
that half of the Chinese Ubuntu users don't even know the word universe.
They probably can recognize the spelling now, and they know it's the
bigger package pool.  Maybe they just copied and pasted some
sources.list line from some user's guide.  Now some one wants to change
the name.  What are they going to do?  What are the user's guide authors
going to do?

Ming
2005.06.27