Enabled repositories in default install

John Skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 26 15:42:26 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 21:19 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:00:05 +1000, John Skaller wrote:
> > > I think the word 'universe' is pretty good. What better name do you
> > > have in mind?
> >
> > unsupported
>
> It can't really be explained quickly to people who are not distribution
> developers, especially not people migrating from Windows or the Mac. What
> does "unsupported" mean in the context of software?

The intent here is simply that the package is not supported
by the ubuntu distributors.

Anyhow the Debian names make more sense to me, and it seems
silly to change them for Ubuntu, since the categorisation concept
is the same.

I mean really, 'universe' isn't enough so we have
to go to 'multiverse' .. why not Galactic Empire? :)

I was really confused by 'restricted' too, what the heck?
Hey, I'm over 18! Show me that R-rated software now!!

The thing is, 'restricted' is exactly the opposite:
its actually the supported non-base applications,
which one should feel most free to install ..
one should feel less restricted about it than the
unrestricted universe about which one should tremble
and backup before installations .. :)

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net