Development Basics

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Tue Jun 21 03:42:16 CDT 2005

On 13:37, Wed 11 May 05, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> hi Bryce,
>

> On Wednesday 11 May 2005 07:41, Bryce Robilliard wrote:
> > How would I start developing for Ubuntu?  Can anyone give some starter
> > tips?
>
> First of all:
>
>  Debian New Maintainer Guide (http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/)
>   if you want to maintain packages.
>
> All other things are covered normally here:
>  https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DeveloperResources
>
> If you need advice for packaging or coding stuff, join #ubuntu-devel or
> #ubuntu-motu @irc.freenode.net
>
> The rest is, learning by doing,
> apt-get source <your learning package> and study the sources. it gives you a
> nice overview about how things are done, how different the maintainers are
> working.
>
> After all, I started to write a tutorial on
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HowToBuildDebianPackagesFromScratch

As someone that is familiar with the New Maintainer Guide (I
think it's quite poor for a complete newbie) I would like to
complement you on that entry to the wiki - seems like
someone has finally figured that describing how to create a
package from scratch is also important, not just work "by
example" when those examples are sometimes so cumbersome and
complicated, or worse never represent a real world
situation.

Thanks you!

Sivan