Ubuntu, audio, realtime-lsm and MOTU

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 17 10:56:46 CDT 2005

Hi Ian,

vern at debian-am.org wrote:
> Hi
> Here is Ian from Ubuntu Brazil.
> At the Ubuntu conference in Mataro in the session on audio I mentioned
> the project to install 'cultural hotspots' in poor districts throughout
> Brazil.
> This project is now in the stage of implementation and we (ubuntu-br)
> are getting requests for audio integration with ubuntu.
> We did some coding and have made some metapackages based on
> DeMuDi/Debian Edu specifically for ubuntu...you can
> see them here
> http://www.linuxbox.com.br/svn/ubuntu-br-audio/
> the idea being that people will be able to
>
>  #apt-get install ubuntu-br-audio
>
> before this happens we need to find some way of enabling automagically
> realtime-lsm/audio preemption in the kernel... asking end users to use
> module-assistant and/or get kernel headers is not something we can
> do ;)

We discussed this already at UDU and iirc on kernel-team as well. Patching
the kernel with code that it's too intrusive and difficult to maintain across
the release cycle and the 18 months after is a no-go for me.
Somebody did suggest to make a kernel derivate for "audio targets" and I am
fine with it.

> I saw the interesting discussion here
> http://ubuntuforums.org/printthread.php?t=38439
>
> and  I know that there is a *lot* of work going on in the audio
> infrastructure for breezy. We want to make our work compatible with this
> and not duplicate efforts so I am writing to you to ask who we need to
> contact about this work. Also we would like to know if we can create our
> own ubuntu kernel for audio, what is the procedure for doing so etc

There are no specific ways to do so. Of course you are welcome to do it.
We (as kernel-team) suggest to use linux-source-2.6.XX (where XX is the
latest available in the archive) that already contains all the ubuntu
patches to kernel. From there you add your patches and build.

> I have documented my experiments so far with jack,ubuntu,audio and the
> kernel here (half english/half portuguese):
> http://estudiolivre.utopia.com.br/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=10

I am 100% sure that all the developers will appreciate to review and
share your experience. I am CC ubuntu-devel mailing list since some
other guys are already in the implementation phase for AudioInfrastructure
for breezy.

Cheers
Fabio

- --