Debian concordance

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Tue Jun 14 12:13:53 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 02:37 +1000, John Skaller wrote:

> Right .. so it is uninstalling Glasgow Haskell .. which is totally
> unrelated to Python .. its downgrading my libreadline to from
> version 5 to version 4 .. adding emacs (I use Vi .. I don't want
> ANY emacs on my system ..)

Take a closer look. It does NOT downgrade your libreadline. python2.4
compiles with libreadline4, but that does NOT mean you will loose
libreadline5 (it's uninstalling only -dev package). After compiling
python2.4, you can remove libreadline4-dev and install libreadline5-dev.
There is no problems with that.

I guess it's removing ghc6 cause of libreadline, not python. Check with
"apt-cache show ghc6". As with libreadline, you can install ghc6 after
compiling python2.4.

You have here very nice and easy source build.

> named python2.3 .. arrggg .. building from the tarball
> is just *easier* .. :)

Belive me, it's not. That's why packages are invented :)

--
Ante Karamatic|--|ivoks(@)grad.hr|--|PGP: D3BDA225
http://master.grad.hr/~ivoks/|--|ICQ: 64631782