Contributions

Leslie Viljoen lesliev at icoc.co.za
Sat Jun 11 17:52:26 CDT 2005

Daniel Holbach wrote:

>Hey Leslie,
>
>Am Freitag, den 10.06.2005, 12:26 +0200 schrieb Leslie Viljoen:
>

>>I'd like to be able to contribute to Ubuntu by improving some of the
>>packages
>>and rebuilding them. I know how to apt-get source <package> and modify it
>>and rebuild it with dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc.
>>

>you should absolutely join the MOTU crew to accomplish this. If you're
>on IRC, join #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net - we can really need
>"additional hands on deck" and the people in there will help you to get
>accustomed to the packaging tools.

I was in there late last night but not much was happening. I'll drop in
again
during the day sometime.

>General documentation on packaging is of course Debian's New Maintainer
>Guide and the Debian Policy - but some of us are already working on
>another Maintainer Guide.

Great! I'd like to see the draft when it is done because I have some
comments on the Debian version. I am busy reading it and there are bits
that are unclear - I suppose because I am an absolute newbie in the
process and once you have been doing it for a while you write a doc that
takes some things for granted.

I think it's important to have a doc that can make any competent
programmer a contributor in double-quick time so that programmers that
want to get involved can be productive as soon as possible.

I'm sure I'll have some suggestions as soon as I get through the guide.

I have contacted the maintainers for the ddclient package and submitted
my ideas - from their README I am sure they will include the modem info
in the next release. I suppose there is an Ubuntu person who will see
the new release and include it.

>Thanks for wanting to contribute. We really appreciate it.

I just hope I can give enough time to be useful! My daughter is 5 months
old and so I am most productive at 1am.